Monday, April 2, 2007

Life and Living Systems

I know I'm a "living system" because...

... the entity known to me as "I" exhibits all known characteristics we attribute to living systems: 1) "I" possesses senses and responds to changes in the external environment; 2) The cells and tissues of "I" propagate and transmit waves of excitation from one point to another within it; 3) "I" grows--there has been and continues to be increase in the size and number of the cells of "I;" 4) There has been and continues to be an exchange of gasses between "I" and the environment; 5) "I" breaks down and absorbs food; 6) "I" moves digested nutrients into its fluids for transportation to every cell of its body; 7) "I" is capable of secreting special substances which are required within its own body; 8) "I" is capable of excreting materials no longer required within it, as well as materials produced but not required by it; 9) "I" is capable of circulating fluids and other substances from one area of its body to another; and 10) "I" is able to reproduce most parts of itself for growth as well as for repair. (Credit and thanks to N. Collins and all physiologists, everywhere.)

But perhaps more importantly, I "know" I am a living system not only because I possess all characteristics currently ascribed to living systems, but because I feel I am a living system. I feel an indestructible connection between my "I" and the larger, living environment. Also, I know I am a living system because my mother told me so...

Biophysics and me

We expect our long and satisfying relationship to continue for some time yet. Till death do we part. Wait; probably not even then! Let me say instead: Till death do we reconfigure.

No comments: