Monday, February 26, 2007

Vibrations

Are all vibrations "good"?

Although all Beach Boy vibrations are "good" (apologies to all; I just could not resist), it seems to me that vibrations just "are." "Good" implies a value judgment outside of our objective, "scientific" discussion of Vibrations. The results of vibrations might include discussion of "good" or "bad" effects, but "good" and "bad" are not descriptors inherent in the phenomena. One could argue that some vibrations have both qualities; for example, odor vibrations might be "good" for the hunter, but "bad" for the hunted. But in the overall scheme of things, where those eaten provide life for those doing the eating, even this example of a qualitative description of the phenomena falls short. There is no inherent "good" or "evil" in any natural phenomena.

Resonance in my world

Well, gosh, everything comes to us via vibrations! I was originally going to write that the most interesting aspects of resonance in my world are the non-verbal communiques or "energy fields" projecting outward from my fellow beings. I am intrigued by communications accomplished without the use of words; how feelings can be communicated, for instance. But then I thought about color! I used to paint in oils, and I still like to color. There is very real enjoyment to be found in color combination. But then I thought about music! Auditory stimulation alone can transport me to other times and places, can fill me with peace, or make me cry. And that makes me think about laughter, and the sound of a child's uncontrollable giggle! The miracle of it! And then there is dancing and the vibrating body! And the sight, the smell, the sound of a forest after an early morning rain! My world is made of vibrations!

Connections I can make between Energy and Qi?

One of the limitations of spelling words with letters rather than representing ideas through "pictures" is that we seem to be not always able to get at the deeper meanings inherent in our perceptions of the world. Our grammars often tie our hands, limit our minds. To make connections between Energy and Qi, other than the grammatically obvious, would require mind-expanding representations of the utmost subtlety and infinite variation. For now, in this language of spelling and metaphor, I am happy to settle upon an equivalence between them, remembering that concepts born of different languages almost always lose something in translation. "Energy" in English may include ideas not found in the Chinese "Qi." Likewise, the Chinese "Qi" may certainly include notions not to be found in the English "Energy."

No comments: